Karl Urban’s Biography
Height: 6’1” (1.85 m)
Birthdate: June 7, 1972
Early life: Originally from Wellington, New Zealand, Karl Urban now lives in Auckland. He is the son of a leather goods manufacturer (who had hoped Karl would follow in his footsteps). His first acting role was when he was 8, he had a line on a television show. Karl did not act again until after high school. He was offered a role in the New Zealand drama “Shortland Street” (1992) as he prepared to attend Victoria University. After appearing on the show for the 1993-1994 season, he attended the university for one year, then left to pursue his acting career. Over the next few years, he landed several theater roles in the Wellington area. Eventually, he moved to Auckland.
Spouse: Natalie Wihongi (September 16, 2004-present)
Children: 2, Hunter (born November 2000) and Indiana (Indy) (born January 2005)
· Karl has a black lab terrier named Ire (eye-ree) after a Bob Marley song.
· Hobbies include fishing, surfing, golf, gardening.
· Of German descent on his father’s side.
· Reportedly received a $400,000 bonus for his work on “The Lord of the Rings”.
· Primary school classmate of Jack Yan.
· Karl is good friends with co-stars Viggo Mortensen from “Lord of the Rings” and Renee O’Connor from “Xena: Warrior Princess”, Zachary Quinto & Chris Pine from “Star Trek: 2009”
· He was considered for the part of Kainan in Outlander.
· Karl is an ambassador for KidsCan, a charity which supports over 16,000 disadvantaged children with shoes, food, and coats.
· His father is a German immigrant and owned a leather goods factory. His mother for Film Facilities in Wellington, New Zealand.
· Karl was a huge fan of the Star Trek franchise long before being cast as Dr. McCoy in the remake.